Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Altenew Class Butterfly


I'm happy for classes that don't fail you if  you're late with your homework!

This is truly a mixed media card!

I clear embossed the butterfly on vellum and colored the backside with Copic Markers adding shading and lines with Prismacolor pencils.

The butterfly is fussy cut as I don't have the matching die.

I tried to color the flower using the same technique on Mixed Media paper,
but it was too dark for the look I wanted.
So I stamped the flower with Antique Linen Distress ink and colored it
with Distress Markers. Using a waterbrush, I softened the color and then
 added shading and lines with the fine tip of the same markers.

It's fun to try new techniques and Marika is right in that to get the look you want, 
you have to practice, practice, practice!

I want to enter this in the Altenew Challenge for June.
I'm squeaking in at the last minute, I think.



Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.


Enjoy!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Painted Butterfly, Peony Bouquet, Persian Motifs sentiment (Altenew)
Ink:  VersaMark, Antique Linen (Distress), Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Solar White (Neena 110 lb.), Mixed Media (Strathmore), Woodgrain Cardstock (Tim Holtz), Double Stitched Rectangle Frames (MFT), Copic Markers (Y11, Y13, Y15), Prismacolor Pencils (Lemon Yellow, Canary Yellow, Jasmine, Yellow Ochre, 90% Cool Grey)  Distress Markers (Evergreen Bough, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint)




13 comments:

Loll said...

Beautiful card Bonnie. Love the colours used and the vellum butterfly is so pretty and delicate. Great texture with the dry embossed background and framing. xx

JosieD said...

Love this card...the way you colored it and added the pencil lines for shading and your choice of b'grd. and framing. A great card looking card with the, as always, special "Bonnie touches."

Donna said...

Hi Bonnie. Love all these 'new to me' techniques you are trying out. You are teaching me so much :)
Beautiful card .x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Love your use of the vellum and embossing it.
Faith
x

Susan said...

So true that we get better with practice! Love the delicacy of the butterfly. And great framing and dry embossing.

nancy littrell said...

So pretty Bonnie. I love your coloring with mixed media and your textured frail. TFS your details my friend. Hugs, Nancy

Princess Judy Palmer said...

So neat! I like the soft look you get with this technique. Practice, practice, practice sounds like something that takes time that I don't have. I'll admire all your stuff in the meantime. You can remind me of these techniques once I retire.

Mac Mable said...

Such a unique and creative card. So very delicate and loving the techniques..thank you for sharing x

JoAnn said...

Very pretty. Love all the texture and the pretty butterfly.

Sandy said...

I think what I was most fascinated by was the embossing on the card - I really love it!!
sandy xx

Brenda said...

Beautiful card Bonnie! I love the technique on your butterfly. He is so soft and pretty! I also love the flower, it too has a soft feel. It all looks fabulous in the stitched rectangle frame on top of the wood grain card base. I'm behind on my commenting, hope to catch up soon! Hugs, Brenda

Karen Davis said...

Love this Bonnie. When I saw it I thought "How Posh!!" Is that a word Americans use? It's very English. This is another 'elegant' card from you and I see there is another one above it too. I love these gentle colours, and the way you have framed the wee scene with white on white makes it...well....posh!

Greta said...

Looks like you had fun with the class, even if you were late with homework--haha!