Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Too Kind in Acrylic

During the Dare to Get Dirty challenges a couple of weeks ago, there was a challenge to use acrylic paint.  

I used to have acrylic paint.

But  not anymore.

I was resisting the inclination to go buy some.

But not anymore.



I bought a few bottles of it over the weekend for a project I'll share below.

The CAS Challenge this week at SCS is to use paint or watercolors (ink is ok for sentiment only).

This time I had some.  Two blues and a green.  How's that for timing?

And the CAS on Sunday Challenge is 


"Floral Fantasy"
 (use flowers on your card:  image, papers, accents)

This is what I bought the paint for.


My old apron had worn out and I found this in a craft store.  It needed some flowers, don't you think?

I heat set it and hope the flowers don't wash out.

Cuz I wash my apron. 

Edited to add:  I heat set the ink with my iron on the dry setting both front and back.  I used a clean handkerchief as a pressing cloth on the front.  When washed, the color faded a little, but the flowers are still there.  

A lot!

All supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Too Kind
Ink:  Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Paper:  Acrylic Paper
Other:  Acrylic Paint (Folk Art by Plaid: Aqua, Teal, Classic Green), Sponge Daubers

I put a couple of drops of ink in my paint tray and used a sponge dauber to pick up the paint then removed some of the excess paint in a clean spot.  I used the dauber to put the paint on the stamp.  This is a 2-step stamp so I used the lighter blue for the more solid stamp and the darker blue for the overlay.  I got too much paint on the stamp once and it wasn't very pretty.  It takes some experimenting to get the right amount for a good stamping.

There are directions for this technique in the Stampin' Up! 2013-2014 Idea Book and Catalog, page 64. 

The paper has been in my stash for years.  I love the linen texture and now that I have some acrylic paint again, maybe I'll use it more often.

Now it's time to get dinner on the table.  It's spaghetti tonight.  Do I dare wear my new apron?  Hmmm.  I wonder how it'll look with tomato spots....

Glad you could stop by.

Enjoy!






22 comments:

Diane said...

Very fun design, never used Acrylic paint but both projects turned out fabulous.

Regards diane

jimlynn said...

Cute apron and a fabulous card! I've never used the acrylic paint before and you make me want to try it now.
Lynn

Cynthia said...

Loooove the dreamy, watercolor look on both your beautiful card and your I-want-one-too apron!!! And yes, you should totally wear it because you can always make something out of the spaghetti splots, like tiny flowers. Or big ones. You know, whatever works! ;-)

MaryH said...

Oh oh, another technique I need to try! No wonder I get behind on commenting!! LOL. This is lovely...both your beautiful card & your pretty apron. Ummm, Nope - I wouldn't wear it with spaghetti, but you're prolly neater than I am. Your blue & green were so pretty on the card and I appreciate your details on the how-to. You know I'll be copying this, don't you? (well, maybe I should say --trying. There, that sounded better!). TFS & Hugs

Laura said...

Oh I love the idea of acrylic paint. And I love The results! Both Are Gorgeous!!! TFS

Michelle said...

What a ute apron! I hope it washes well too. You'll have to give a blog update and let us know how it worked out. Either way, you still have a gorgeous card. :)

Gail Park said...

I love both the card and the apron....isn't that the best part of challenges-getting pulled out of our comfort zones to try new things then falling in love with the results!

Benzi said...

Very pretty card and good job with the acrylic paints, Bonnie.

I had spaghetti last night, too. But, I didn't wear an apron. Haven't worn one in years. Maybe because I don't spend that much time cooking. LOL

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

LURVE the design and the apron, haven't used acrylic, but looks fun.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely card and like your finishing touch to your apron but you will have to let us know what happens the first time you wash it ... will the paint really stay put? Elizabeth xx

Loll said...

Beautiful card. Love blue and green together. Great idea to use the image on your new apron. Looks too nice to wear while making spaghetti :) Loll xx

Susan said...

I love both the card and the apron (let us know how it holds up to washing!). And thank you so much for the directions on how you did it.

Notes by Nina said...

Stunning projects Bonnie :)

Susan said...

I love both the card and the apron (let us know how it stands up to washing!). And thanks for the directions on how you used the acrylic paint with the stamps.

Lisa A. said...

Hi Bonnie!! Your card and apron are beautiful! I looked at that challenge...I still don't have any paints...may have to get some now! Beautiful stamping...you DID get it just right:)!!

Zw@@n said...

Wow, that is a very beautiful card, Bonnie. I love the stamps and colours. Thank you for joining us at CAS on Sunday. Luv, Wilma
PS your apron is beautiful too.

XxJULESxX said...

Oh beautiful card i love the apron too my fav thing (flowers)!

Colleen said...

Great projects, Bonnie. Being able to use linen paper may push me to acrylics...
That apron is so adorable! I purchased a black apron...practical but not nearly as cute.
Hugs!

Greta said...

Love your apron & love your card, Bonnie! What a gorgeous flower stamp & your choice of colors really makes it special! I'll be interested to hear how the apron handles being washed.

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a great way to beautify your apron! I hope it doesn't wash out.

Anonymous said...

How pretty Bonnie-and what a great idea to use the beautiful design on the apron too!
Nessa xxxx

anja curvers said...

Love your apron and thanks for sharing this great idea. Your card is lovely too also thanks for joining us over at CAS on sunday.