Friday, October 15, 2010

It's Just Not Me!


I'm almost embarassed to even show this!  It's so not me!  I rarely use any sparkle.  It's not that I'm against it, I just don't do it well, I think.

Maybe if I had just put a little dazzle I would like it better.  I really go carried away!


I started to just trash it, but then I thought, maybe someone would like it and find some inspiration from it.  Even if it is what not to do!  LOL

The One Layer Wednesday challenge, that I usually participate in, has taken a detour.  Since Susan is swamped, Jennifer offered to host the challenge the rest of this month.  Wasn't that nice of her?

Her challenge was to do a holiday card and not use white, cream, red or green as background colors.  Whew, that's hard!

Then the Free for All Challenge on SCS today was Winter White Out.  Do a winter card not using white, purple or blue.  Now that's doubly hard!

I spied this stamp from A Cardinal Christmas.  It's supposed to be mistletoe, but if you have looked closely at some of the holly that they use in landscaping, it resembles that.

I used the Black Magic technique.  I stamped the image with Whisper White on any color (here I used Crumb Cake).  After it  dried, I colored it with watercolor pencils.  (I used a combination of SU Watercolor pencils & Prismacolor pencils.)

It didn't look too bad at this point, although the leaves could have been a bit darker.  Then I used a little 2 way glue and sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds to give it a frosty look.  Yikes!

I had a bird punched out already and I put him between the branches, double scored the edges and decided to quit.  Besides, Luke woke up.

Card Recipe
Stamps:  A Cardinal Christmas
Ink:  Whisper White
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories:  Extra Large 2-Step Bird Punch, Dazzling Diamonds, Basic Rhinestone

I guess technically I did use white, but I covered that up.  Then glittered it!  I have sparkles all over the room!

Have a dazzling weekend.
Bonnie

6 comments:

Bev J. said...

I think your card is very pretty-I am going to have to make a redbird card using that punch-thanks for the inspiration.

Sarah Coggins said...

What a cool card! I like the neutral background color and scored lines to frame the design. It definitely sparkles in the photo, but not too much. I think you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Ok Bonnie, I've got my stern voice on here...your card is absolutely gorgeous my friend. You used the sparkle beautifully! Thank goodness you didn't bin it. I love the effect of the plain bird with the sparkly leaves and berries, it makes a very striking contrast.

Susan said...

Bonnie, this is a beautiful card! Of course, I do love sparkly stuff...so it's right up my alley!

Doris said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Don't worry--your secret is safe with me! Your card is lovely, and not overdone. Can't imagine why you thought is would be embarassing!

Jennifer Styles said...

I think this card is beautiful. It reminds me a little bit of the Chinese shell pictures that hung on the walls in my Granny's house.

I am also partial to that bird!

Great job on OLW24!